Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Reaching the Summit: Report of Sabah Outdoor and Adventure Trip (2)

In the windy and bone bitten cold at 2:00am, we already warm-up ourselves for climbing to the summit in the dark. I load myself with heavy supper, for an extra energy because I didn't bring so much snacks or tidbit for the next 5 hours journey up the summit and back to Laban Rata.

I walked steadily together with my gf, Faraied and Azizul leading our group up to first check point at Sayat-Sayat. At Sayat-Sayat Hut we need to report ourselves and there were phone booths by Telekom Malaysia at nearly 3500m above the sea level.

Then we reached the rock face where the border for vegetation ends. The slope was not too slick and we climb only guided by the rope in our visual. I managed to capture a photo in the dark and sometime I watched my back and saw a train of lights far away from us. I and my gf climb together while she was starting feel not comfortable with the content of the oxygen in the air. Inhale deeply and exhale deeply, right step for inhale, left step for exhale. It was a simple rule to follow.

At 5:30am, I and my gf reached the summit, Lows Peak, the highest point in South East Asia at 4095.2 meter above the sea level. At the summit only six of the group reached before 5:30am in the chilled darkness at -4 degree Celcius. This is my second time touching two boards up there! Then we celebrate with 'champagne' until we saw the sun rise!

Nearly one hour at the summit, we climb down together to Laban Rata for breakfast. It took around 2 hours journey down from the summit. I and my gf take my sweet time together with a photo shot and chatting. We arrived at Laban Rata at 8:00am, and I ate my nutritious breakfast and sleep!

At 10:30am, we check out and hiking down to Timpohon Gate, 6km down from Laban Rata. The rain can't stop anymore and I hike alone far back from the group. I took my time to save my knees (I already ran down to the gate last 2002) and to save my food from vomit out from the stomach! Also to avoid post hiking dizziness or post AMS (Altitude Mountain Sickness).

I was snap a photo on my journey and my mind already start thinking what are my plan after going back from Kinabalu. I arrived at the Timpohon Gate at 2:30pm, and need to waiting for our van for nearly 3hours in wet clothes, heavy rain pouring down and cold windy. I wrap myself with garbage bag, sat and chatting with group members.

We have a buffet 'lunch' at 5:00pm in the restaurant provided and check out from Kinabalu Headquaters at 6:00pm. Warm clothes already wrap my body and I feel so comfort and now we were headed to Kiulu River for the next adventure, white water rafting!


**sorry there are no picture can upload until now, P license, slow and LEMBAB!**

No comments:

Post a Comment